PhD in Social and Political Science, Cambridge UK, 1983
Signalling Theory and Applications, Trust and Distrust, Mafias, Violent Extremists
Senior Allievi and Doctoral Students
- “COVID-19 infection induces higher trust in strangers”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, August 2, 2022 (with Davide Morisi)
- “Commitment through Sacrifice: How longer fasting during Ramadan strengthens religiosity and political Islam”. American Sociological
Review, June 9, 2022 (with Ozan Aksoy)
- Engineers of Jihad. The curious connection between education and violent extremism. Princeton University Press, 2016 (with Steffen Hertog).
- “At the root of the North-South cooperation gap in Italy: Preferences or beliefs?”. The Economic Journal, 2019, 129 (with Maria Bigoni, Stefania Bortolotti, and Marco Casari)
- Codes of the underworld. How criminals communicate. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009.